Some like it HOT! Staying hydrated this summer
We’re not messing around when we say that a Perth summer can get seriously hot. Spending all day down at the beach soaking up that glorious sun after what was seemingly the longest winter on record, is a great way to get your daily source of vitamin D (and then some!) but not so great for hydration levels. We know you’ve heard it time and time again but how often have you found yourself at the end of the day unable to recall the last drink of water you had? Staying hydrated during your day is really important for your overall health and wellbeing, especially in the harsh summer months. That’s why we’re giving you hydration the run down.
Why Should I Stay Hydrated?
Water makes up about 70 percent of our bodies and a portion of that water is lost every day by going to the bathroom, sweating and even just by breathing. To survive, this water that is lost needs to be replenished. Every part of our bodies requires water to work properly. It’s even contributed to speeding up metabolism and weight loss.
How to Tell if I’m Dehydrated?
Some signs that indicate whether you’re dehydrated are:
- Dark coloured urine or infrequent urine
- Dry mouth
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s probably your body trying to tell you to drink more water!
How Much Water Should I Drink a Day?
We recommend drinking between 6-8 glasses of water a day for the average person. However, if you’re exercising, have a fever, are vomiting or have diarrhoea, are pregnant or if it’s hot outside, it’s a really good idea to increase your intake because these things make you more susceptible to dehydration.
Tips on How to Stay Hydrated
- Carry a big drink bottle with you! Heavy right? Better get drinking to lighten the load!
- Eat foods that have a high water content such as celery, watermelon, cucumber and tomatoes. This is such an easy way ensure you remain hydrated and are eating good food at the same time.
- Make your water more exciting by adding a slice of lemon or lime or even a few mint leaves.
- If you’re unsure about whether you’re dehydrated, check your urine.
- Get into a routine. Have a glass before every meal and snack. Not only will this remind you to drink your 6-8 glasses, but sometimes our bodies mistake hunger for thirst, so this is a good way to make sure you’re not overeating just because you’re dehydrated.
- There are also a range of skin care products by trusted Australian brands such as QV specifically designed to keep your skin hydrated. These products are also light and non-greasy making them perfect for the summer climate.
So the next time you’re down at the beach soaking up all that vitamin-D, just remember what you’re losing at the same time. Stay hydrated and sun smart, and for any questions just head into Padbury Pharmacy and speak to one of our friendly staff.